Tricks and Tactics

Merlin
I am compiling a list of tricks and tactics. I would like the help from the community to make sure I have all known tricks and tactics. If you know of something that is not on this list, please mention it here and you will get credit for mentioning it. This is all for the new Village Square website and this information will be around for a long time, so don't miss your chance to be forever remembered for your knowledge

Tricks we currently have:

Assassin proof walls
Faster Workers
Multiple Workers per building
Extra Apples per harvest
Invisible King/troops
Cats/Horses on Walls
Teleporting Goods
Extra wall heights
Changing Lord Colors
Custom farms and buildings
Unlimited cows
Raining stone/arrows
Army of Jesters
Finding Assassins/traps
Secret Passages
Floating flags/spikes
Fences
Restrict Buildings/troops
Minimap Art
Stacking troops in keep/tower
Multiple shields/cats with engineer
Fast Moats (
~)ULC(~V3n0m~)
Running engineers
Fast assassins (
{{DHK}}HolyLord)
Invincible Seige Tower (
{{DHK}}HolyLord)
Teleporting Lord (
{{DHK}}HolyLord)
Transforming Troops (
{{DHK}}HolyLord)

Tactics we currently have:

Grouping
Shields
Sleeping Workers
-24 Taxes
Constriction points
Good/Bad thing uses
Using height advantage
Using tight spot advantage
Unreachable buildings
Keeping your attacking troops focused

Laddermen pop({{DHK}}HolyLord)

Tasteless Tactics:

Walling in Enemy
The Dial-up disconnect
Trolling Lord / workers
Any cheat programs
Deleting Enemy Drawbridge (
Szeky)

If you know of anything that could be added to these lists let me know and you will receive credit for it.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

~)ULC(~V3n0m~
You missed Moat Bug. It's a bit popular these days.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn't understand the assignment; I told them they didn't understand life.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

Merlin
Administrator
~)ULC(~V3n0m~ wrote
You missed Moat Bug. It's a bit popular these days.
Can you be more specific on this one? I don't know if I know this one

Re: Tricks and Tactics

~)ULC(~V3n0m~
It's a bug where you have your slaves/pikemen or any soldier digging the moat, and you click dig, then command them to stop .5-1 seconds later; dig moat much faster. They dig up a lot of random moat spots quick.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6onXI12BHc

If you want a better view, this is the original video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq6wSYrW8cw

Just start at 11:50 minutes.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn't understand the assignment; I told them they didn't understand life.

Just start at 11:50 minutes.
thanks, this is a new one to me. And thanks for including the videos, was much help.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

~)ULC(~V3n0m~
Yea no problem, this revolutionized in Gameranger. I think it was discovered about a year ago, if not then about 6-10 months ago. Pretty handy trick to use when you are in a rush to get in your enemies castle.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn't understand the assignment; I told them they didn't understand life.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

{{DHK}}HolyLord
lol this tactic was used widely since 2006-2007, its a cheat (in my opinion, at least)  i remember MatiKing used it against me in a tournament in 2006 and I kicked him from DHK lmao
~ † DHK † - The Best In Game ~

Re: Tricks and Tactics

{{DHK}}HolyLord
I would put "running engineers", "unreachable buildings", and  under "tricks"

i would also not consider any cheat program to be a "tactic" (tasteless or not)

and I'm not sure what you mean by "fences"
~ † DHK † - The Best In Game ~

Re: Tricks and Tactics

Merlin
Administrator
{{DHK}}HolyLord wrote
I would put "running engineers", "unreachable buildings", and  under "tricks"

i would also not consider any cheat program to be a "tactic" (tasteless or not)

and I'm not sure what you mean by "fences"
I agree about the cheats, I do not consider them tactics but I listed them here because I do want to mention them, and that things like turbomouse and shield makers are not acceptable tricks or tactics.

By fences, I mean the map-making trick to use the fences created by farms and remove the actual farm building to leave the remaining fence behind. I have used this on some of my maps to create borders and eye-candy and I think the technique should be explained for other mappers.

I went ahead and moved the engineers, on second thought I agree, it is really more of a trick than a tactic. As far as unreachable buildings, I'm on the fence about it, if you are using land on higher ground, I think it is more tactical, if you are walling in your buildings, then I would consider it more of a trick. For now I am going to leave it because we do not have many tactics.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

{{DHK}}HolyLord
Administrator
if you're looking for more tactics, there are many many more;

there are a lot of micro-tactical tricks (military tactics) that should be mentioned, such as spreading catapults, mini-pissing opponent, mass siege, multi-flanking, transformation, cats at walls, invincible (unless you know exactly how to kill it) siege tower, fast assassins (which is frequently used these days), catapult singularity (which for some reason pisses people off)

and you definitely need to add "slaves/laddermen for pop", one of the most revolutionary economic tactics ever in SHC (also started by Bar), which almost everyone uses now

you missed "teleporting Lord", a very easy, simple, and common trick used for many years

..and there are some secret glitches which bar and I discovered, such as changing enemy workers to your troops, creating permanent terrain in-game, stone/arrow/cow rain (the one we showed u on bar's map)

and there is the "send workers to enemy castle during pt" trick (which I would put under tasteless tactics)

these are just from the top of my head lol, ill play a game or two to refresh my memory sometime
~ † DHK † - The Best In Game ~

Re: Tricks and Tactics

Merlin
Administrator
{{DHK}}HolyLord wrote
there are a lot of micro-tactical tricks (military tactics) that should be mentioned, such as spreading catapults, mini-pissing opponent, mass siege, multi-flanking, transformation, cats at walls, invincible (unless you know exactly how to kill it) siege tower, fast assassins (which is frequently used these days), catapult singularity (which for some reason pisses people off)

and you definitely need to add "slaves/laddermen for pop"

you missed "teleporting Lord", a very easy, simple, and common trick used for many years

..and there are some secret glitches which bar and I discovered, such as changing enemy workers to your troops, creating permanent terrain in-game, stone/arrow/cow rain (the one we showed u on bar's map)

and there is the "send workers to enemy castle during pt" trick (which I would put under tasteless tactics)
Most of the tactics you mentioned I don't think I will mention, like you said there are just so many micro-tactics that you really need to just understand and use in the moment. I am looking more for things that are simply game-based. We could go on forever with micro-tactics for fighting any type of battle.

Seige tower, fast assassins, teleporting lord will be added
Not sure what you mean by a couple in the first group, I will ask you about them
Send workers to castle I have something else I will mention that under.

Hop in-game and see what else you can remember. It has been a long time for me also and unfortunately most of this stuff isn't coming back to me easily.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

[>D-F<]~T-Bag~
Lmao, true about digging moat trick, funny you mentioned matiking, he showed it to me in late 2007 lol

Re: Tricks and Tactics

Szeky
deleting drawbride with a woodcutter.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

!Yu.GoD!GILMAN~RF
Banned User

I think you should visit site i created there is a lot of that there.
Also add ox trick i described it in "tricks"i  found it years ago.It is in place of placing oxes near stone factory so transporting is faster-you get stones faster and that is verry visible in stats in high recurces map also it is verry usable in low rec maps.
This trick isnt founded b anyone beside me.I first started used and later i described it.
Also merlin contact me in gr i cant catch you when not afk i will give you some extra of it.
I didnt saw if someone of you added bread eco without disapearing pop.etc.And ofc not forgetable trick i described too deleting gate+moat bridge with your wc(put it neat opponent gate touching his moat)ant then delete wc so his gate+moat bridge will be deleted)
And also not all tricks are.I would call some of them bugs.Becuase desiners overlooked it or passed on purpose,who knows.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

~Vika~
All the tricks you mentioned should be clearly splitted into usefull tricks, which are discovered and allowed online and the rest are simply cheats (like faster or multiple workers, moat bug, stone teleport, deleting bridge etc), even if discovered also.
In my opinion too only the most important and known should be on site, the rest can wait for their time, secrets make all more interesting.

The "revolutionary" laddermen economy tactic destroyed 2k or 5 pt games making them same mass attack games instead of small tactic wars based on own economy, real challenge for experts.

Apple trick was discovered by me 2006.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

{X2X}DarkKnight
Gilman,

1. You are far from being the first person to discover that.
2. That only works on maps on which there is 1 isolated stone pile.
X2X ~ The Best Since '02 ~

Re: Tricks and Tactics

!Yu.GoD!GILMAN~RF
Banned User
First you are wrong.That works on all maps.You should know that if you founded that trick and developed it as me..
Second i found it.and noone cant steal it from me.
GG ,good try anyways to put my trick down aka.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

~)ULC(~V3n0m~
"Revolutionized"... It started to spread in Gameranger.
I didn't see moat bug being used in 2006-2007, that's why I said it was created in Gameranger. But it is commonly used these days.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn't understand the assignment; I told them they didn't understand life.

Re: Tricks and Tactics

NDR-DRGN_MastaPlayboy
so many people i saw use ladderman and slaves in gamespy for pop... it didnt start in gameranger
! Brotherhood !

Re: Tricks and Tactics

{{DHK}}HolyLord
he never said he found it lol, and maybe you discovered it for yourself, but what if myself and many other experts have discovered it ourselves long ago as well?  :P

its not even a trick
~ † DHK † - The Best In Game ~
12